How to Choose a Domain Name
By: Stephany Da Pont
We’re not surprised you’re interested in this topic. It’s 2019 and most of us (if you haven’t already) are making websites.
Before you get too far with a catchy idea that sounds great in your head, there are a few key factors you’ll want to consider.
- Is it brandable? Think about the purpose of your site and whether or not the domain will help achieve your site goals
- We need to be able to pronounce it. From a cognitive aspect, we will remember and favour things that we can easily say
- Keep it short
- Remember trademarks! Research who is out there with a similar or identical name. You don’t want any lawsuits occurring
- Avoid numbers and hyphens
- Decide on a domain name extension that suits your needs, for example:
- .info : informational sites
- .net : technical, Internet infrastructure sites
- .org : non-commercial organizations and nonprofits
GoDaddy is a great site to start with for building your domain name!